music video sound
Diegetic sound is a noise which has a source on-screen. They are noises which have not been edited in, for example dialogue between characters or footsteps.
Another term for diegetic sound is actual sound.
Non-diegetic sound is a noise which does not have a source on-screen, they have been added in. For example music, voiceover, sound effects.
Non-diegetic sounds are often used to add drama to moments that would be silent without it.
Examples of non-diegetic occur
Examples of diegetic occur in the first 20 seconds of the vamps somebody to you:
https://www.vevo.com/watch/the-vamps/somebody-to-you/GBUV71400389
Examples of non-diegetic occur in the first 33 seconds of black magic by little mix:https://www.vevo.com/watch/little-mix/black-magic/GB1101500020
https://www.vevo.com/watch/the-vamps/somebody-to-you/GBUV71400389
Examples of non-diegetic occur in the first 33 seconds of black magic by little mix:https://www.vevo.com/watch/little-mix/black-magic/GB1101500020
Female Gender
Representation (Mulvey, 1975)
Male gender as alpha
male (Gauntlett, 2002)
Male gender as sex
object/new aged male (Mackillon, 2002)
Youth as depressed
law breaking drink/sex obsessed rebel (Hall, 1904)
Youth as fun
(Hedbirdge, 1988)
Black as criminal
(Hall, 1981)
Working class as well
intentioned but dumb (Butch, 1992)
Little mix black magic
All the girls on the block knocking at my door
Wanna know what it is make the boys want more
Wanna know what it is make the boys want more
Is your lover playing on your side?
Said he loves you
But he ain't got time
Here's the answer
Come and get it
At a knocked down price
Said he loves you
But he ain't got time
Here's the answer
Come and get it
At a knocked down price
Hey
Full of honey
Just to make him sweet
Crystal balling
Just to help him see
What he's been missing
So come and get it
While you've still got time
Just to make him sweet
Crystal balling
Just to help him see
What he's been missing
So come and get it
While you've still got time
Hey
Get your boy on his knees
And repeat after me, say
And repeat after me, say
Take a sip of my secret potion
I'll make you fall in love
For a spell that can't be broken
One drop should be enough
Boy, you belong to me
I got the recipe
And it's called black magic
(And it's called black magic)
I'll make you fall in love
For a spell that can't be broken
One drop should be enough
Boy, you belong to me
I got the recipe
And it's called black magic
(And it's called black magic)
background music fits youth is fun as shown by the upbeat bars
The vamps somebody to you
Yeah you!
Yeah you!
Yeah you!
I used to wanna be
Living like there's only me
And now I spend my time
Thinking 'bout a way to get you off my mind (yeah you!)
I used to be so tough
Never really gave enough
And then you caught my eye
Giving me the feeling of a lightning strike (Yeah you!)
Living like there's only me
And now I spend my time
Thinking 'bout a way to get you off my mind (yeah you!)
I used to be so tough
Never really gave enough
And then you caught my eye
Giving me the feeling of a lightning strike (Yeah you!)
Look at me now, I'm falling
I can't even talk, still stuttering
This ground of mine keeps shaking
Oh oh oh, now!
I can't even talk, still stuttering
This ground of mine keeps shaking
Oh oh oh, now!
All I wanna be, yeah all I ever wanna be, yeah, yeah
Is somebody to you
All I wanna be, yeah all I ever wanna be, yeah, yeah
Is somebody to you
Is somebody to you
All I wanna be, yeah all I ever wanna be, yeah, yeah
Is somebody to you
Everybody's trying to be a billionaire
But every time I look at you I just don't care
'Cause all I wanna be, yeah all I ever wanna be, yeah, yeah
Is somebody to you (yeah you!)
But every time I look at you I just don't care
'Cause all I wanna be, yeah all I ever wanna be, yeah, yeah
Is somebody to you (yeah you!)
background music fits youth is fun as shown by the upbeat bars
Song Title & Band/Artist: The vamps some
body to you
Target Audience (age/gender/nationality/social
grade): male, teenagers
Representation
Theory/Quote
|
Lyrics
that support this theory
|
Laura
Mulvey (1975) argued women in the media are used as; ‘Erotic objects of
desire for males on screen and in the audience,’ (Mulvey, 1975).
|
Thinking 'bout a way to get you off my mind
|
Gauntlett
(2002) argues males in the media still follow traditional stereotypes as they
are shown as, ‘Alpha males who control the action with violence,’ (Gauntlett,
2002).
|
This ground of mine keeps shaking
Oh oh oh, now! |
Mackillon
argues something slightly difference, ‘Males are now shown as sexual objects
of desire who are more concerned with image,’ (Mackillon, 2002).
|
I used to ride around
I didn't wanna settle down |
Stanley
Hall argues youths are; ‘depressed’ and are likely to seek excitement
through; crime, sex, drink/drugs,’ (Hall, 1904).
|
But every time I look at you I just don't care
'Cause all I wanna be, yeah all I ever wanna be, yeah, yeah |
Dick Hebdige
(1988) argued youths are stereotyped as mixed metaphors of; “Youth as fun,”
and “Youth as trouble maker.”
|
Nothing ever mattered to me more than this (Yeah you!)
|
Richard Butsch (1992) who says working class males in the
media are presented as; "Incompetent and ineffectual, often a
buffoon, well-intentioned but dumb. In almost all working-class series, the
male is flawed, some more than others..
|
Look at me now, I'm falling
I can't even talk, still stuttering This ground of mine keeps shaking Oh oh oh, now! |
S.Hall said in 1981, blacks are stereotyped
as; "The social problem," (Hall, 1981) and this is a stereotype
that has been embraced by Hip-Hop culture.
|
❌
|
Malik points out the obvious 1998); “Many feel that Black and Asian audiences
are still not sufficiently catered for and that insensitivity towards issues
of race and ethnicity still exist. The reality of a lived multiculturalism is
not represented in the British media."
|
❌
|
Keith Gandal's, in 2007 he said that target
audiences are drawn in by the; "Sentimental rags-to-riches story,"
|
Everybody's trying to be a billionaire
But every time I look at you I just don't care |
Song Title & Band/Artist: Little mix black
magic
Target Audience (age/gender/nationality/social
grade): female, teenage, class D, standerd education
Representation
Theory/Quote
|
Lyrics
that support this theory
|
Laura
Mulvey (1975) argued women in the media are used as; ‘Erotic objects of
desire for males on screen and in the audience,’ (Mulvey, 1975).
|
All the girls on the block knocking at my door
Wanna know what it is make the boys want more |
Gauntlett
(2002) argues males in the media still follow traditional stereotypes as they
are shown as, ‘Alpha males who control the action with violence,’ (Gauntlett,
2002).
|
Get your boy on his knees
And repeat after me |
Mackillon
argues something slightly difference, ‘Males are now shown as sexual objects
of desire who are more concerned with image,’ (Mackillon, 2002).
|
Said he loves you
But he ain't got time Here's the answer Come and get it At a knocked down price |
Stanley
Hall argues youths are; ‘depressed’ and are likely to seek excitement
through; crime, sex, drink/drugs,’ (Hall, 1904).
|
Crystal balling
Just to help him see |
Dick Hebdige
(1988) argued youths are stereotyped as mixed metaphors of; “Youth as fun,”
and “Youth as trouble maker.”
|
Falling in love (hey)
Falling in love (hey) Falling in love (hey) Falling in love (hey) |
Richard Butsch (1992) who says working class males in the
media are presented as; "Incompetent and ineffectual, often a
buffoon, well-intentioned but dumb. In almost all working-class series, the
male is flawed, some more than others..
|
Boy, you belong to me
I got the recipe And it's called black magic |
S.Hall said in 1981, blacks are stereotyped
as; "The social problem," (Hall, 1981) and this is a stereotype
that has been embraced by Hip-Hop culture.
|
❌
|
Malik points out the obvious 1998); “Many feel that Black and Asian audiences
are still not sufficiently catered for and that insensitivity towards issues
of race and ethnicity still exist. The reality of a lived multiculturalism is
not represented in the British media."
|
❌
|
Keith Gandal's, in 2007 he said that target
audiences are drawn in by the; "Sentimental rags-to-riches story,"
|
Boy, you belong to me
|
Comments
Post a Comment